Franklin Lodge #20, F. & A.M. was organized under dispensation on December 20, 1856. The First Worshipful Master was James H. Hoyt. The lodge was chartered on May 25, 1857, and on July 8th of that year, the charter was received and officers were elected with Stanton Hazard serving as Worshipful Master. Franklin Lodge is under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island which was formed in 1791.
Franklin Lodge has been meeting at its present location, 20 Elm Street, in Westerly since the late 1950's. Numerous meeting places preceded this location, two of which are worth mentioning briefly: the Pawcatuck Academy Corporation's Hall on "Cooky Hill" which is now Union Street, and its long-time meeting place on High Street at the Barber Memorial Building.
Franklin Lodge takes its name in honor of Benjamin Franklin, who was not only a significant American Patriot, but an early Provincial Grand Master of Pennsylvania's Masons.